Library Assistant – (1093)
Title of Position: Library Assistant
Post Number: 8027814 (ITS:1342)
Faculty/Department: University of the Western Cape -> Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research & Innovation -> Library ServicesType of Position
Permanent – Full Time
Length of Contract Period
Location: Main Campus – Bellville, WC ZA (Primary)
Closing Date: 13/6/2021
Role Clarification &
Key Performance Areas
The University of the Western Cape Library Services’ vision is to be a strategic partner recognised for our excellence in innovative and relevant library services. Our Library mission is to enrich the learning, teaching, and research experience by providing relevant resources and expertise to enable academic success and enhance UWC’s standing.
The primary role of the Library Assistant is to support library learning, teaching, and research activities, particularly those related to open science, virtual reference and online user services.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following key responsibility areas:
- Perform library clientele duties i.e. Circulation; Short loans; ILL etc.
- Basic catalogue & databases searches
- Provide support to research support services
- Perform virtual & in-person reference services
- Collection development and maintenance
- Assist and participate in Library marketing and other projects.
Minimum Requirements (Qualification and Experience)
- Grade 12 certificate plus two years’ working experience in an academic library setting OR
- A B.BLIS or equivalent library qualification
- Experience working with cloud storage & sharing applications
Required competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioural attributes):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong customer focus
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of library systems – catalogue and databases
- Exposure to open science activities
In your application, you are encouraged to highlight your strengths and also include anything else that you feel may be pertinent to the selection panel. Please attach your covering letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and highest qualification to your online profile. To be considered for this vacancy, you must click on the Apply for this Job link below or apply directly via UWC Careers at https://uwc.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/JobSearch/viewAll. For any queries, please contact the Human Resources Department at +27 21 959 4063/9763/9708/3551/3756.EQUITY DISCLAIMER: In line with the University’s commitment to diversifying its workforce, preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants in line with Employment Targets of the University. The University reserves the right to not make an appointment, make an appointment at a different level, seek additional candidates and may conduct competency assessments.