Advert reference: uj_000001
Advert status: Online
Industry: Other Sectors & Industries
Job category: Security/Security Guard
Location: Johannesburg Metropolitan
Remuneration: Market Related
EE position: Yes
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university anchored in Africa and intent on global excellence and stature. With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and multiple partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice.
This position is responsible for professional security protection, safeguarding, safety, and security of assets, property, staff, students and all visitors, within the immediate vicinity of the University.
- Protect the property of UJ, staff, students and visitors through physical patrolling of the premises and access control.
- Ensure that students, staff and visitors adhere to security policies
- Ensure that physical security infrastructure (e.g. gates, street lights, burglar proofing) are in proper working condition and report any defects.
- Patrol University premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates.
- Identify, report and act timeously on emergency incidents as instructed by the control room.
- Secure crime scenes according to training until supervisors arrive.
- Ensure that the necessary documents are completed with regards to a specific incident.
- Take down and give an accurate statement of situations both verbally and in writing.
- Monitor and operate Security Systems when required
- Undertake preliminary investigations into reports of offences as required
- Provide escort duties for staff at night.
- Attend and pro-actively deal with any security-related incident, as directed by the control room operator, supervisor or other member of protection services management team.
- Record all incidents in the appropriate format and write concise and accurate incident reports as necessary.
- Look for abandoned bags during shift change and hand them to safe keeping.
- From time to time search toilets for abandoned items
- Control the safeguarding and issuing of keys.
- Upkeep an admin system regarding lost and found.
- Enforce the University’s rule on informal trading.
- Enforce the traffic and parking policy on all UJ premises.
- Check all personnel access permits, visitor’s permits, vehicle permits
- Search bags, vehicles as per standard operating procedures in accordance to the risk rating.
- Check material removal permits and verify content and authorisation signature.
- Lock and secure gates and doors after hours.
- Ensure a friendly, helpful and effective protection service is provided to all staff, students and visitors.
- Carry out special duties, e.g. in connection with events days, open days; public, visitor or staff demonstrations and attend and assist at any emergency incident as directed by the Controller.
Health and Safety
- Assist in emergency situations such as medical related incidents by acting as first line of response.
- Operate security-related and personal protective equipment following departmental procedures, ensuring the equipment is clean and stored correctly, reporting any faults to the Controller
- Undertake staff training as required and receive guidance and instruction from the supervisor when necessary.
· Grade 12 or Equivalent· Valid Grade C PSIRA registration· Computer Literary (Basic Microsoft Packages)· Clearance record from South African Police Services.· Valid Driver’s License· Min 2 years’ experience in security services.
· Shift work in line with the operational requirements of the University (i.e. 24/7/365), including but not limited to straight day or night shifts, alternating shifts, etc.· Travel or work between different sites may be required.
· Preference will be given to applicants with security / risk management qualifications· Preference will be given to applicants with knowledge of Impro Portal, Nimbus and Mirasys / Avigilon Systems· Preference will be given to applicants with experience in educational or campus security environment· Preference will be given to applicants with a Professional drivers permit (PDP)· Preference will be given to applicants with higher PSIRA Grades or Accreditation (e.g. Grade A or B, Armed Reaction)· Preference will be given to applicants with a valid fire-arm competency certificate
All enquiries relating to this advert must be directed to the HR Department: Sarah Skhosana (011) 559-4018 (HR Business Partner) or Rose Tladi (011) 559-2776